Sunday, August 9, 2009

Speed bumps, scorpions, and a blessing named Tim

The life of a christian is not an easy one. Stepping out of your comfort zone to serve God is difficult, but we all know that actions speak louder than words. So once a year my wife and I go to Guatemala to work at an orphanage. The trips are bittersweet because leaving the comfort of home and all our loved ones (especially Sammy D) is terrible, but seeing all the kids in Guatemala is great. Teri and I have been building relationships with these children for years, so seeing them is like seeing distant family members.

Our trip was cut short this year. On Tuesday night Teri got extremely sick. When I found out, I went to see her and knew immediately that she was going to end up in the hospital. She was shaking from head to toe, had a fever, nausea, fatigue, and abdominal pains. Sure enough we left for the hospital around 10:30pm due a possible appendicitis, and so began the worst night of our lives. Just moving Teri 10 feet to the car caused her to start dry heaving. She was loosing consciousness on the way to the hospital and every speed bump seemed to make her worse. I can't explain the amount of fear I was in knowing that my wife was on her way to a hospital in a third world country. Thankfully one of the permanent missionaries (Tim) knew a hospital that would provide Teri with the best care available in our area. Tim also worked in an ER for six years and spoke Spanish. I was just as helpless as Teri upon arriving at the hospital, but thank God Tim knew what to do and gave 100% for Teri. My 100% was meaningless, I wouldn't even know how to ask the staff where the bathroom was.

After the initial exam the doctor concluded that her appendix was the problem and that it needed to come out. Surgery was set for 8:00am and Teri and I faced a long night of fear, uncertainty, and worry. Neither of us could believe that she was going to have surgery in another country. The worst case scenario of Teri never making it out of that hospital had become a possibility. I made some essential phone calls and updated friends and family on her condition. Word spread fast and the faithful began to pray (overtime).

I spoke with Teri late at night before we attempted to get some rest. She told me that the pain was getting much better and that she didn't want to have the surgery unless she really needed it. I agreed and now had all night to make sure that her request was granted. I had to sit in the waiting room all night. It was dark and boring. There were no people, magazines, TVs, and the chairs were horribly uncomfortable. I had a lot of time to worry and freak myself out. I didn't sleep but I did get some action around 4:00am. I saw a huge black scorpion strut across the room and crawl behind a filing cabinet. I stared at the cabinet for about an hour until the black death emerged again. I engaged the enemy in battle and won. It was a disturbing realization that scorpions were roaming about the hospital, so for the rest of the night I had to keep checking to see if there were any ghouls on me.

Morning came and so did Tim, we had a conference with the new daytime staff and voiced our concerns. Teri was re-examined and we were in the presence of a miracle. She was no longer in need of surgery and was in no pain. The doctors could not explain what had happened. Teri was released from the hospital and I got her back to the states ASAP. The final diagnosis was that she had a viral intestinal infection that aggravated her appendix and then miraculously got better. In short, prayer works. God has great plans for Teri and is not going to let her expire in some crappy hospital thousands of miles from home.

Thank you is not enough for all of those who lifted Teri up in prayer, and for Tim and all of our Guatemala team members. You were all part of a miracle, the closest one to me that I have ever experienced.

No comments: