Friday, August 21, 2009

The Oath


Words can be so ambiguous. To some people they can be gold, and to others they can be meaningless. Taking an oath of office may seem meaningless on the surface, but it holds a tangible power.

For example, I was re-sworn as a police officer yesterday. The actual event was somewhat informal and only took about 5 minutes (and that is stretching it). The actual oath was just words, but gave me so much authority. In the most brutal of realities, the oath could be recited by anybody at anytime and seems meaningless..... BUT, the fact that it was recited by the Chief of Police to me (after the pain and effort of department training AND six months of the police academy, 7 years ago AND 4 years of sworn law enforcement experience) I became something that I was not 24 hours earlier. It feels great to be the popo again.

Unfortunately it's just something that you will never appreciate or understand unless you do it yourself. I have shed blood an tears being a police officer in the past. I have done things that you only see on TV and in the movies. However, it comes at a cost. It is with that thought that I give Teri my complete and absolute thanks. She made the effort to attend my ascension into something that makes me a better man. It's always a sacrifice, but it's who I am.



No comments: