Thursday, May 14, 2009

tomorrow is more than a thousand songs


God and Family are the priorities of my life.  The ranking system is simple #1 God #2 family and #3 everything else.  My right arm displays this boldly in the form of Japanese Kanji symbols. If I were to assign a #3 it would be music.  I'm sure that everybody has a favorite song (or songs).  These songs invoke our deepest emotions, you become seduced and unable to fight the urge to turn them up and sing them at the top of your lungs.  At worst, you have to at least bob your head.  I fully understand, music has been a large part of my life for some time.  

However, I learned early on that the music industry was crap.  Back in junior high I remember sitting on the bleachers after gym jamming out to Kris Kross (spelling?).  The group's shelf life was about expired but I enjoyed the music.  A friend asked me what I was listening to and I told him.  He scoffed and dismissed me.  I didn't care because I was enjoying the music, but I did take some time to ask myself, "Why is this music not cool after only a few months"?  I concluded that the music industry made their money from exploiting artists and then quickly replacing them in order to maximize sales and profit.  I was young, but smart enough to call BS.  From that moment on I discovered the sweet nectar that is underground music.  In my case the genre was PUNK.  Thank God my music never expires!  Here is an example, today I listened to Dynamite Boy in my car and enjoyed some Face to Face on my Ipod while grocery shopping.  Have you ever heard of these bands? NO

My tangent does have a point.  The only thing better than loving music is writing it.  In high school I decided that I wanted to play guitar.  Teri was in the picture at this time and can she can tell you that I sucked.  But, after a while I developed some skill and taught myself to play.  I have still never had a lesson but I can play pretty well (punk, very well).  Soon after I started playing guitar, I started writing lyrics.  13 years later I can play the drums, bass, guitar, recorded 4 albums, and played dozens of live shows in every corner of Jacksonville and the surrounding areas.  I love music, and believe me when I tell you, nothing beats writing your own.  I never cared and still don't care if anybody likes my music.  It is not for you it's for me.  If you happen to like it, it's a blessing to me.  I pour my soul out on paper when I write my songs.  It has been my catharsis for over a decade.

I now present to you my band.  Once known as Indiscretion, The Izms, and The Crumpetz.  We are currently known as G-14.  We just had a reunion show after 5 years of not playing.  It was a dream come true.  This blog begins a series of blogs dedicated to my band and its members.

The title of this blog happens to be one of my song lyrics.  One that just recently escaped my lips on 5-2-09 (our most recent show, AKA my 30th birthday party).  It generally means that my songs mostly represent the past and the lessons learned from it.  We all have a past, and have mistakes that we have made.  The good news is that it IS the past and that tomorrow is yours to seize.  Hence, "tomorrow is more than a thousand songs".........................Enjoy my #3.

No comments: