Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Crumb


Crumb (aka Caleb, aka The Notorious I.Z.M., aka Schmuck Foo, aka Bread Man) has been my best friend for about 20 years.  We both started listening to punk music at the same time.  We raided his brother's CD collection and found some Nofx albums in junior high.  From then on we were hooked (thanks Rob).  Crumb and I also started playing guitar and writing music together.  We dreamed of creating a band.  We would succeed, but like most bands, we had a high turnover rate on band members.  To this day Crumb and I have remained the nucleus of the band.  Since we both write music and lyrics our approach is simple, if you write the song - you sing it.  

In 2004, after several years of band successes and failures, "life" derailed us.  Caleb moved to Japan to do some teaching (and become a ninja).  I moved to Gainesville and became a police officer (and used ninja tactics on covert details).  The band was gone but I never stopped writing music.  I routinely listened to our poorly produced CDs and hilarious band practice videos.  I knew that one day I would create a new band, but I doubted that Crumb would be a part of it.  Luckily in 2009 the stars aligned and G-14 played a reunion show.  It took lots of hard work to pull off the show, but it was worth it.  There are too people many to thank.  In a few weeks Crunb will ship off to Hawaii for his new job as an NCIS special agent.  Once again the band is down, but I don't think it will ever be out.


Nut and Crumb will prevail.  Here's to G-14 in 2014!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay. So i confess I may have never listened to any punk music before. But I see there is a song, titled just for me as #3. I tried to listen to it but I couldn't really understand the words =( I'll trust it's a good song and that you put it there in honor of me =)

Good to see you this week!